Main applied R & D topics of the Laboratory research team concern microcontrollers & networked microcontrollers, fieldbuses, distributed intelligence for process control, M2M systems, Industrial / Building / Home / Utilities / Transportation automation systems, interoperability & middleware in automation applications and electronic services for telemetry and remote control.
The Laboratory team practices a continuous cooperation with the Hellenic electronic industry and industrial production thru participation in applied research projects aiming to develop and implement prototype systems for efficient energy and resources management as well as associated applications for end-to-end total solutions that can be used daily and widely. This cooperation is also verified by means of tens of department graduates who had their final year project in the laboratory and currently work in electronic industry and associated private and public sector enterprises.
Currently it participates as partner in the following research projects
- «MEMSENSE - Innovative Sensor Systems Development with Distributed intelligence » MICRO2-SE-A/E-II, Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (OPCE ΙΙ), National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), Corallia mi-Cluster: Nano/Microelectronics and Embedded Systems, Hellenic Technology Clusters in Microelectronics – Phase?2 (2009 – 2012) concerning energy management applications and services in a smart home control system environment.
- «DAMAZO - Automated Demand Response Management System for rationalized use of Electrical Energy”, Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (OPCE ΙΙ), National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), SYNERGASIA PRAXI I (2010 – 2012), concerning enhanced services development for automated demand response management and load control.
Participates in a European research proposal whose project outline (PO) was successfully accepted at 1st phase, expecting final approval at full project proposal (FPP) phase:
- ARTEMIS JU «int2ENERGY - embedding intelligence in buildings management for efficient interaction with ENERGY grids» Call 2010-1 No. 269382-1
The Laboratory was granted the following Innovation Voucher for two SMEs:
- «Residential water meter upgrade to AMR electronic type with wireless communication for measurements transfer to back-end» Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (OPCE ΙΙ), National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), Innovation Vouchers for SMEs, No. 67161197-01-000017, (2010 – 2011)
- «Automated garage door preventive maintenance system» Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (OPCE ΙΙ), National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), Innovation Vouchers for SMEs, No. 56534388-01-000025, (2010 – 2011)
The Laboratory of Communications and Networks supervised by Assistant Professor V. Kapsalis Dr Electrical Engineer, temporarily hosted in Microcomputer Laboratory premises, was granted the following Innovation Voucher for SME:
- «Security Improvement Study in installed network systems with the use of IDS/IPS - Intrusion Detection/Prevention Systems» Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (OPCE ΙΙ), National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF), Innovation Vouchers for SMEs, No. 15225675-01-000045, (2010 – 2011)
The Laboratory has participated in the research project «An intelligent system of interactive telecommunication and telematic management of a vehicle fleet carrying petrol products – SIMA» carrying out the major part of the design, development and implementation of the project within Attiki Regional Operational Program framework (2000-2006) with GSRT (Ministry of Development) funding and European Commission (ERDF) and prime contractors Cyclon Hellas & ISI, 2006-8, under the Project Management of Assist. Professor V. Kapsalis Dr Electrical Engineer.